Wednesday, June 30, 2010

INDEPENDENCE DAY - A CELEBRATION - A MEMORY

1970 - VIETNAM Homecoming -
Sneaking back in to my country?
My dearest Mom, Dad and myself shortly after returning from Vietnam - posed for the picture, seldom if ever spoke about being in Vietnam for many years - - even in the Heartland the anti-war sentiment was high and focused on those who served - 

As we slam in to the upcoming holiday weekend to celebrate our country's Independence birthday - - I have some thoughts and memories, that may only be recognized by a few - -.  Our country has and is experiencing some of the most troubling and consuming tragedy's imaginable - the Gulf oil spill, War and what appears to be a growing division in the country and continuous criticism of our government, the people in it and even what it stands for.  We have not yet recovered from 911, Katrina, political unrest and a score of other man-made and nature generated disasters.

I have not always been happy with the actions of my government and many of those who are in control of it and sometimes the people themselves,  - I can remember very vividly back to 1970 when I returned from VIETNAM - the country was nearly upside down over that war and even worse - the country seemed to hate each and every one of us who were there for what ever reason - -?  When I received my orders to go back to the WORLD -  I was ready, but I was NEVER ashamed of what I did there or that I was there.  Then reality set in - as our flight landed at El Torro Airbase in California we were told what to expect - and it WAS NOT A HOMECOMING - In effect we were SNEAKING BACK IN TO OUR COUNTRY!  As we boarded the buses to get us back to our base for processing and de-briefing, we were told to NOT wear our uniform, travel in no less then pairs and be extremely cautious in San Francisco as  many of our guys were assaulted, beaten and injured - - -.  I processed out of Alameda, California and caught a flight home - - NOT in uniform and did not mention Vietnam - - It was hard to blend in, even in "civvies"as my military haircut gave me away.  I returned home to family and some friends, one of the lucky ones, not wounded, not missing arm, leg, eye and my name was not on the "wall" of 58,627 souls lost in that tragic war.  - - But of course - - I WAS JUST IN THE COAST GUARD - -

CELEBRATE YOUR INDEPENDENCE - REMEMBER WHO PAID FOR IT
BE PART OF THE SOLUTION, NOT THE PROBLEM - - 

No comments: