Friday, December 4, 2009

CYBER SCAMMERS are out there - BEWARE!!


Just a reminder to the already wise - I had just recently posted an item for sale on Craigs List, (Marine GPS Lake Chip for Furuno chartplotter and some other brands) the listing price was modest and below $100. Received a "wierd" query, stating this person wanted to purchase the item (thru several e-mails) and would be sending Certified check for item, which would be more than the price, but they would handle the shipping costs and I should just cash the check, deduct the price I asked, hold back $20 for shipping and "wire" the remaining balance back to this person who would send me where to wire the money leftover - - - Well all sorts of red flags were going up from the beginning, but since I WASN'T about to give this guy anything but my P.O. Box #, I figured I would ride it out and see what happened. After several e-mails and a UPS Tracking number provided. I picked up an envelope at the UPS drop warehouse and it contained a rather legitimate looking check for $2,180.00!!! - It was VERY obvious that I was targeted for a "you send me Real $ for my bogus check" - - After researching the return name and address on the UPS drop and the company name on the check, turns out the Company was real, and the banking info was also real, but the check WAS NOT, they have had calls about several of these "fake" checks and have attempted (with little success) to get some law enforcement involved, but can't seem to get very far. I reported the scam to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), (for what good that will do) and provided the company with a scanned copy of their bogus check. I kept all items involved and copy of all e-mails and documents. I hold little hope that this guy will get what he has coming - but you never know. THE UPCOMING SEASON WILL BE FILLED WITH "TAKERS" BOTH ON THE INTERNET AND OFF - - BE WARY

2 comments:

WB6NAH said...

Dear Sir,

Confidential Business Proposal

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

Charles Meyer said...

Sir, I would very much like to help you out with your
dilemma. However; after researching It appears the "over invoiced contract" was in fact a "soft" ungrounding performed by YOU in Canadian waters on a 25ft sail boat. The term "pirate" comes to mind, it also scares me a little that you know so MUCH about offshore banking - -- - :)